Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Why?


I realized once again this week that sports has more of a control on me than I would like. I tried to not let the Mets implosion impact any area of my life besides my sports side but I was unable to contain the overflow of disgust.

This morning, however, I woke up with a sense of freedom because I will not have to track with the MLB playoffs as closely in the coming weeks. I am leading a 7-week class on studying Scripture and preaching on Oct 14th so the Mets' choking ends up helping me.

Still, I realized how much my childhood love for the drama of playoff baseball remains in me. I do not want to completely cut off that passion for sports but I do want to cut off the sick feeling that I had when I saw that Tom Glavine gave up 7 runs in the first inning (hall of famer eh?)...

Am I capable of cutting off one without the other?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Shocked. I'm simply shocked that the Amazin' Mets didn't make the postseason and the Yankees did. I'll root extra hard for the city of NY since you're so busy now.

I've questioned the amount of attention sports gets in my life, but at this point, I'm just willing to roll with it. All of us need a little time to fantasize that sports (or other diversions) matter. For you and me, they just happen to matter more than, say, shopping.

Oh yeah, feel free to dump the Mets for the Yankees. It's pretty gratifying to root for the Bronx Bombers.

Erik said...

You could always roll with us Cub fans, if you so choose. Is it next year?

Anonymous said...

Since you are one of the only Mets fans I know, of course I thought of some sort of sympathy card I could send. The only thing I could come up with is that there is worse... you could be a Giants fan.

AWJacks said...

When it is all over, you have to remind yourself that it is JUST a game. And in addition, it is a business that you are rooting for. Yes, I said it, a business, a money-making venture. And it's just a game, there's always next year. Absolutely none of this reflects upon you as an individual. No matter what the Yankees fans may say. :-)