Monday, October 22, 2007

High point (in terms of sports)


This graph does not reveal any data that pertains to this topic. I just needed a graph to show that I am in a unique place as a sports fan. I have rarely been on the winning side of any sports team. Every year, I get excited about the possibilities and then come crashing down as the year progresses. I continue to work on preventing sports from influencing my outlook on life but I would lie if I said that I have purged myself of all such influences.

Today, I can say that after two horrible starts to my favorite football teams, they both are on a roll. UVA lost to Wyoming (who?) and then they reeled off 7 straight wins. In a similar way, the NY Giants (G-MEN!) lost to Dallas and Green Bay and then they have reeled of 5 wins in a row. They are both on the way up!

Why did I blog about this relatively insignificant development? I find myself blogging when my teams implode but I never capture the moment when they are on the way up. Today, I can claim that they are on the way up. Sure, they will lose and lose badly in the near future but I can claim victory today and that is all I am concerned about right now.

On another note, I have started to rediscover the joy of reading significant books by authors who have something more to offer than a recent trend. I should have some deeper thoughts in the coming days but I had to capture this moment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool - interesting fact. One of the guys who went to the Bengals game was a Giants fan. He wore a Shockey jersey - and was so excited to see at least 2 other guys wearing "G-men" jerseys at the Bengals game.

Of course, he cheered for the Bengals.

what a crazy game - never seen 65 thousand people in one place before...

AWJacks said...

Speaking of deep thinking books, here's one. I'm reading a book called "The Death of the Mythic God: The Rise of Evolutionary Spirituality" by Jim Marion. It's for a class called "Spiral Dynamics" that I'm taking at my Unitarian church. It's a fascinating subject and you should google it sometime if you get the chance. There are lots of websites on it. It really goes a long way in explaining why the traditional or fundamentalist churches are no longer appealing to spiritual people. I'd love to hear what you have to say on the subject. Love you, Andrew