Monday, August 06, 2007

We made it!



My family made it across the country yesterday with little to zero issues. I am in awe of how God provided for us throughout the journey. Both Cambria and Avery experienced the trip as an adventure as opposed to a long, arduous disaster. We flew out of Washington Dulles at 4:30, connected through Chicago and arrived in Seattle at 9 PM PST.

The main issue was the connection in Chicago. Once again, I realized how much I am still unable to determine how long an event takes with two little children. We stopped to eat a 'quick' dinner in the food court but by the time it was all said and done we were the last ones to board our flight. That is not an issue if you are single and alone. For us, however, that meant that I had to carry the carseat (for Avery) all the way to the back of the plane and I probably was "that guy" who knocked no less than 5 people in the head with it. I was sweating profusely and extremely embarrassed (and guilt-ridden because I didn't even consider the ramifications of choosing my chicken quesadilla over an early boarding).

Who helped us out? Two Mormon missionaries gave up their seats so that Laurie and the girls could sit together. I sat numerous rows ahead of them and ended up checking on them periodically throughout the flight. By God's grace, both girls fell asleep and Laurie was able to enjoy her Harry Potter book.

I may have spent multiple years refuting the legitimacy of Joseph Smith as a true prophet but that didn't matter a bit when the two LDS missionaries stepped up to help us in a time of need. I have something to learn from that... Don't we all?

We are now in Maple Valley, WA and our moving truck arrives tomorrow (Monday). The events are moving quickly but they are going really well.

These are not the normal 'thoughts as i go' because they do not relate to theology, the church, or small group ministries but these reflections describe the pressing moments at hand.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to hear it! I thought of you all when I went to bed Sat. night - right round midnight EDT, 9pm PDT. I'm very excited for you all and will continue to pray for this transition period - and it really is a period. As much as I began to feel comfortable in worship yesterday, after 5 Sunday's here - we'll be "transitioning" for quite awhile still - and we only got to Ohio!

By the way - make sure you have your TiVo working come September - Sunday Football is HORRIBLE without it. We usually got home somewhere around halftime of the second game - you'll never see your beloved Giants that way!