Friday, August 17, 2007

Two hours


Tonight, I had my first official "meeting" with a few members of Maple Valley Presbyterian Church or as some of my friends like to call it "MVP" church.

Tonight, I remembered why I sensed the call into full time church ministry. I love Jesus Christ and I love seeing God at work in the lives of real people. I came into the meeting expecting to hear some stories and to get a glimpse of the small group ministry at this church. I encountered SO much more than that admittedly small expectation.

I encountered people who are passionate about God because they have experienced God's grace in their lives and they want to share that grace with everyone.
I encountered people who do not want to "play church" but want to truly participate in God's mission here and now.
I encountered people who have been praying for months and years for the person who was going to fill the position in which I am serving.
I encountered people who have convictions and they are willing to sacrifice in order to live by them.
I encountered people who care.
I encountered people who expect God to do amazing things because God has shown up in the past, God shows up in the present, and God will show up in the future.

I encountered people who encouraged me and set the bar high for me (and that is exactly what I needed tonight).

The only issue is they want and expect me to "convert" to being a Seattle Seahawk fan and that is going to take more than a miracle!

I am refreshed, challenged, and humbled by what is before me but that is exactly when God has used me in ways that I could not have imagined in the past. I'm looking forward to whatever the Lord Jesus Christ wants to do in and through me going forward.

Go Seahawks?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

After the Giants-Ravens injury debacle - you might want to convert simply out of necessity.