Thursday, August 30, 2007

Starting at the "top"


I read in some book (a very important one) that the way to be first is to be last and to be great a person must be a servant. I also have heard about that the one thing that matters is faith expressing itself through love (Galatians 5:6).

Today, the two came together as the staff at the church with whom I am serving came over to paint rooms in our new home. We covered (2 coats of paint) our dining room area, living room area, main hallway, and front stairway in less than 5 hours! The joy came not merely from the fact that these walls were painted but instead from the fact that I could accomplish a task together with some great new friends and colleagues. The same job would have taken me and Laurie days.

I am once again overwhelmed by God's grace that came through these wonderful people. I am a small groups pastor and I saw today how my small group (church staff) expressed its faith through love by sacrificing time, energy and a beautiful Seattle day (80 degrees and no clouds) to make me and Laurie feel more at home.

The "top" (the church staff) showed its greatness by being willing to serve. I am privileged to be a part of a group of individuals who together make up a team with that mindset shaped by Christ.

1 comment:

AWJacks said...

Don't forget. When you're all settled, to ask them when you need small things done too. I think that we all like to be asked to help out.
love,
Andrew