Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Worth reading...


This book brings together many of the themes and specific ideas that I didn't "get" in seminary. I found myself thinking, "Why didn't we cover this?" over and over and over.

Fee and Stuart demonstrate the necessity of both exegesis and hermeneutics in bringing the Bible to bear on life today. They provide numerous reminders of why every Bible reader/interpreter needs to ask what the text says first, then what the text means (in its original setting) and then and only then what the text means for us today.

If you feel confused (as many do) about what to do when you open up your Bible, then read this book and you will be better equipped to let God speak to you (and your church) through the Bible.

More specifically, Gordan and Fee engage each part of Scripture and provide a framework and examples of exegesis and hermeneutics for each. Once again, I found myself thinking, "Why didn't my seminary professors find it important to talk plainly about these tools for interpretation?"

In many ways, my seminary Biblical studies classes focused on either of two extremes. 1. The very detailed Greek or Hebrew text critical issues and the scholarship behind the decisions and decision-making process.
2. The very high level social issues that surround the controversial passages.

The day-to-day reading and interpreting of Scripture for the life of the church and the followers of Christ who happen to be reading the Bible were not covered...

SO, this book is worth reading...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why? Because as I said for the three years of our M.Div. program, this school has no idea how to train pastors.

David Hallgren said...

I just had a conversation with a friend here at UPC who went to Regent (where Gordon Fee teaches). We were discussing how the bible is received by a postmodern culture and what our job as pastors is to interpret and communicate its relevancy. Interesting that someone from a different seminary has similar questions re: scripture. I agree with Andrew that the our program really did not address many real life issues of pastoral ministry (especially out west issues). I do feel that I have some skills from PTS that I now have to learn how to use as a pastor.

Unknown said...

PTS hasn't been about training pastors in YEARS and that's why I believe you need to be very careful to plan your time as best you can to achieve preparation for pastoring (like "table-fellowship" & trips to Charlie Brown's...)

Anyway, I think the struggle is ALWAYS about finding a middle ground between saying "I am the only one who can understand this complex book" - like a great Greek prof said - leave the Greek out of the pulpit... and the other extreme that says "just read it" - the Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth crap.

Finding that middle ground is huge, and I think doing it in community, with different people in different places can be a help - I'm definitely intrigued about what Fee & Stuart say!

David Hallgren said...

I just ordered the book on Amazon. I also just read Dr. Blount's convocation address. Pretty sweet. And disappointing that he left PTS. Here is a link to it: http://www.union-psce.edu/faculty_staff/president/convocation.pdf

wes said...

Jeff,

Shoulda gone to Gordon-Conwell then. This was one of Lindsay's main textbooks for her Bible class there.

I am seeing more and more the value of Guder's approach at PTS. Give me the tools to read and study on my own so that I am able to critically analyze the material before me.
I have noticed how I can return to these more "practical" books of ministry with a robust theology such that I won't paint with a broad stroke as I try to get people plugged into the full life of the church.