Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My Timing (but not yours)


I am increasingly becoming aware of a pattern of communication and yesterday I was the one who was responsible for it. More and more, I am seeing how cell phone calls are made mostly when the caller is en route and has a few minutes (or more) to make the call. The receiving person may or may not be available at that time.

Yesterday, I called a friend on the way home from the church. My "commute" is a mere 5-10 minutes depending on the number of green lights. I wanted to check in briefly with my friend but I didn't want to open a long conversation because I knew that my family was waiting for me at home.

Do you see the issue here? I mentioned "me" or "I" in that description of the call. I didn't let my friend know ahead of time that I was calling. I was calling him on my own terms. In fact, the conversation probably left him frustrated because I basically asked him a few quick questions and then gave him an update on life and then cut him off because I had arrived home.

I have been on both ends of this type of conversation.

How many of your recent cell phone conversations have ended with, "I've gotta go because I just arrived at my destination"?

My guess is that a lot of them have... Is there something wrong with this picture?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Never be concerned about having that kind of conversation with me - just make sure that's not the ONLY conversations we have!

wes said...

:-)

Remember, I am the one who feels guilty months later. Sorry for being that GUY last week.
Your timezone is so crazy...