Thursday, December 27, 2007

Flow of Criticism?


At various points in my life, I have realized that I am a very critical person. I am constantly assessing situations, systems, organizations, leadership, etc. and then forming my opinion.

Recently, I have recognized a clear pattern in my criticism. The specific aspects that I criticize are often my exact weaknesses. I have realized that the things that bother me the most about other people are the things that bother me the most about myself.

What should I do with this realization? One response is to use this pattern to help me identify areas that I need to turn over to the Lord in prayer and to ask my closest friends for help in identifying when I continue these patterns. I can choose to ignore this pattern of criticism equaling self-criticism or embrace the opportunity for change.

In 2008, one of my goals is to move toward guarding my tongue regarding criticism for others and instead point the finger on myself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting... my first sermon of 2008 is James 3 - guarding your tongue. We can talk all about how the first few weeks went...