Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Next Chapter



The title of this post, "The Next Chapter," doesn't refer directly to the next movie or book in the Harry Potter series. In fact, I am about to transition into my next chapter of life. Tomorrow, I will be officially ordained as a pastor in the Presbyterian Church (USA) denomination. The process has taken over 3 years to complete and I have had more than enough time to examine my sense of call and be examined by others. I am in awe of how much has happened in the last 3 years.

Last night, I went to see Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix with Laurie. I am not a massive Harry Potter fan but I have enjoyed the movies (one day I'll read the books after I finish Church Dogmatics).

I really enjoyed last night's movie. I particularly connected with the scene when Harry Potter takes aside a group of students who want to go beyond theory and head knowledge. They come together to practice spells and to prepare for actual battles.

I couldn't help but connect with the parallel in my life now because I am about to transition from seminary to full-time church ministry. In many ways, I have been in the world of theory without connecting with the real world. I am anticipating numerous new friends and colleagues but also many challenges.

The last aspect of last night's movie that hit home with me was the theme of fighting for something worthwhile. I am convinced more than ever that my next chapter of life is worth the energy and effort. I have no idea just how much my life will change but I have been told to be ready.

Movies like Harry Potter and numerous other ones that feature a character who must step up to challenges help me refocus my energy toward the challenges ahead.

The next chapter is about to begin...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
Give me a call when you get out here. I hope things are going well. I look forward to a round of golf of trip to the zoo!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, this if from Hallgren