Saturday, July 21, 2007

Confession and Crazy Story....

I have to make a public confession on this blog. It has been long overdue. Some of my closest friends already know this about me but I have been hiding it for years. Here it is... I enjoy pop music. I really do. In fact, I haven't fully embraced my fanaticism for it in years due to lack of money and exposure to new music.

My confession goes all the way back to the early 80s when I clearly remember listening to Billie Jean and Thriller and dancing around the room with my sister. Years later, Backstreet Boys and N' Sync made their mark. I am not going to reveal other friends who encouraged me to embrace the sounds of pop but they all know who they are (can't argue with the hits?)

Well, recently I stumbled upon a song that I can't get out of my head. It was listed as iTunes top song for weeks and I eventually bought it after hearing it on American Idol. The song is Makes Me Wonder by Maroon 5.



Cambria and Avery love the song. In fact, they bounce around to it all the time.

Now here is the crazy story.

I took Cambria (4 yrs old) on a walk yesterday on the canal path near our Princeton apartment. We were mostly walking in silence with an intermittent comment about the color of the berries or the turtles on the trees in the canal. At one point, "Makes Me Wonder" started playing in my head and I began to walk at the same pace of the song.

A few seconds later, Cambria said from the stroller, "Hey Daddy, that sounds like Maroon 5 when you walk that way." I said, "What do you mean?" and she said "The ground sounds like Maroon 5 when you walk that way."

I have been blown away by funny comments from Cambria before but this one was a little more than I could handle. How did that happen? Are we really in tune that much to the same music that she could identify "Makes Me Wonder" from the rhythm of my walk???

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry Jeff, your secret is safe with me ;)

Anyway, with regard to the way that we walk, being in tune with what is on our hearts and minds, I think that it's very true as it is a reflection or manifestation of our being.

Think of the times in Jubilate, when we were truly in the Spirit, our hearts were able to sing so much more purely and the effect on those there was much more intense than when we as a choir had had a bad day (hey, stop humming Daniel Powter's song).

The manifestation of the heart in our walk, our pace count and our azimuth is very clear in my opinion.

AWJacks said...

Wow Jeff! That is amazing. I think that IS a sign that you are in tune with your children. And that's a sign of a good parent. Wow!