Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Footprints in the sand?

You may be thinking that I am going to quote the poem about the footprints in the sand. I actually still like that poem and find myself encouraged by it at points in my life. The poem reminds me of a song that often sounds overplayed but every once and awhile I find enjoyment in listening to it.



This post is about a different set of footprints. Yesterday, Laurie and I went for a run together for the first time in our marriage. We have run on our own at various points but we have never run together. We ran on the sand in the Outer Banks right next to the ocean, right into the wind. It was a blast!

One of the challenges given to us at our wedding by the pastor was to find ways to have fun together, especially when we have kids. This sounds like an obvious idea but the stresses of raising children have made that simple challenge elusive.

Yesterday, I felt like I discovered a different part of my wife and about us together. Our "footprints in the sand" involves both of us running on the beach, encouraging each other not to give up. That is a good basis for a poem too, right?

3 comments:

Erik said...

Absolutely Jeff. Glad to hear you and the family are getting away for a while. When you get a chance, send me an email at eleafblad@mankatocov.org so I can get your new email address, to keep in touch. And, check out our old community blog. Wes and I have started posting some stuff.

wes said...

Careful Jeff, you tread on shaky ground...actually running with Lindsay has been a tremendous way for us to connect and communicate.

@binarybrewery said...

Definitely interesting to hear the thoughts of the Oracle (Dr. Lee).

-house-