Monday, September 14, 2009

Which path?

This morning, I continued in my readings from Calvin's Institutes. Once again, I am struck by Calvin's heart for God and for how his love for Christ jumps off of the page. Yes, Calvin has his rough edges but I am more surprised by his devotion to Christ than I am by his harsh words for critics.

I read from Book I, Ch VI, 1-4 titled "Scripture is Needed to Guide and Teacher for Anyone Who Would Come to God the Creator."

Calvin builds on his initial thesis that God reveals himself in creation but people turn from God and do not embrace what God clearly shows. In summary, our depraved minds block God and his movements towards us. Calvin continues by stating that we need Scripture to "direct us aright to the very Creator of the universe."

The section that caught my attention today states:
We must come, I say, to the Word, where God is truly and vividly described to us from his works, while these very works are appraised not by our depraved judgment but by the rule of eternal truth. If we turn aside from the Word, as I have just now said, though we may strive with strenuous haste, yet, since we have got off the track, we shall never reach the goal. For we should so reason that the splendor of the divine countenance, which even the apostle calls "unapproachable" [1 Tim. 6:16], is for us like an inexplicable labyrinth unless we are conducted into it by the thread of the Word;


The basics - Turn to God through knowing him through Jesus Christ. Jesus is the Word and Scripture (the written word) bears witness to Jesus. If we refuse to let God speak on his own terms, then we are left to creating our own god.

Which path?

Calvin continues by sharing what caught my attention as I read this section, "so that it is better to limp along this path (turning to God through listening for his Word through Scripture) then to dash with all the speed outside it."

Am I running on a path that leads me away from God (usually in my own self-justifying thoughts and feelings) or am I moving, maybe limping, along the path of following Jesus and hearing from God through Scripture?

Which path?

No comments: