Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Every Pastor Needs To...

Ellen Charry, a PTS Theology professor, boldly shared that every Christian needs to read Augustine's Confessions. She then boldly shared, "Every pastor needs to read through Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion."

She shared this during one of my first classes in seminary in the Fall of 2004. Five years have passed since she made that statement and I mentally tucked it away.

Recently, I have set aside 15 minutes every morning to read in my office. I arrive. I turn on a small light sitting on my work table. I open a book and read. I do this before I turn on my computer. I do this before I write on white board. I do this before I sort my piles.

I always enjoy reading works by devout followers of Christ. I often feel like I am sitting in a room with them and dialoguing with them as I read. Earl Palmer's Theological Dialogue gatherings have helped me as well. I often read out loud and stop to reflect on specific items that catch my attention. I then follow another one of Charry's challenges and "let all theological reflection turn to prayer." I end my time with an open conversation with God in prayer - sometimes silent, sometimes speaking, sometimes sharing my struggles, sometimes sharing my excitement.

Yesterday, I decided to take up Charry's challenge and I opened up Calvin's Institutes. I have read excerpts at various points but I have never ventured to read the entire work. I am started on that journey yesterday.

I haven't been blogging because I haven't cared to make the time to do so. I will post a thought here or there as I read through the Institutes. I am not trying to do anything big with these posts. I'm simply returning to the basics of this blog's theme - recording "thoughts as I go."

Here we go...

The quote that caught my attention this morning is in Book I, Chapter II, 2.

Because it (the mind) understands him to be the Author of every good, if anything oppresses, if anything is lacking, immediately it betakes itself to his protection, waiting for help from him. Because it is persuaded that he is good and merciful, it reposes in him with perfect trust, and doubts not that in his loving-kindness a remedy will be provided for all its ills.


Do I really believe that God is the "Author of every good"?
Do I immediately turn to him and wait for help from him?

I am convicted by these words, especially as I face a new school calendar year. Do I really believe this in light of the following:
- Laurie and I are expecting our 4th child (another girl!) in December
- Cambria is starting 1st grade today and parenting continues to challenge me every day
- I am leading a small group ministry that needs guidance and depth
- I feel lost in these efforts when I try to wrap my head around all of the possibilities

Where do I turn? Do I turn to my own thoughts and strength?

According to Calvin's reminders, I need to return to the "Author of every good."

Prayer: Lord Jesus, help me today to know that you truly are the author of every good. Please give me the grace (undeserved gift) of trust in you. Help me to know that you are really there and that you can and will come to my aid when I turn to you. I turn to you with my life again this morning. Take my life and let me rest in you as I live out the calling you have for me and my life. For your name's sake. Amen

1 comment:

jc said...

Amen, Lee!