Friday, September 04, 2009

1 out of 100

I am continuing my daily readings in Calvin's Institutes and it has become a highlight of my day. I am now looking forward to the reading, reflection and subsequent prayer.

Years ago, I realized that my swimming workouts were mostly sprint-oriented. I intentionally shifted those workouts to be long distance so as to foster a more 'marathon' mindset as opposed to a 'sprint' mindset. These readings fall in the 'marathon' mindset as I take a little bit per day but consistently take them on.

I often share that "95% of people believe any statistic" - including that one.

Calvin shares in Book I, IV, 1 that "As experienced shows, God has sown a seed of religion in all men. But scarcely one man in a hundred is met who fosters it, once received, in his heart, and none in whom it ripens - much less shows fruit in season [cf. Ps 1:3]."

1 out of 100.

He obviously isn't drawing on polls or statistics but his numbers resonate with me. The convicting aspect of his statistic and subsequent analysis is that he is talking more about the response by people to their acknowledgment of God or a god or "something out there."

Calvin exposes the reality that people often generate an image of God (an idol) in order to ultimately hide from the very God who they know exists, who they know has the final word on their lives, and who they know requires a response. He points out superstitions, religious rites and other actions to placate God.

As for me, I can see how I can easily fall into this trap. In fact, I am a pastor. If anyone can say "look at me God, I am following you" it is me. I can easily embrace a false idea that I am "making it" as a Christian since I serve full-time in a church ministry environment.

This, however, could be the greatest place of hiding.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, take me out of hiding. Help me to follow you and to respond to you and not try to placate you with my life. I want to relate to you and be yours.

1 comment:

AWJacks said...

ok, wow! That is the most honest thing I've ever heard a pastor say. Maybe the church IS a hiding place.

I've felt that by allowing myself to be put out in public, not limiting myself to only volunteering for YEAH! but any org. that needs it, I am growing closer to god.

I especially felt that when I was backpacking. I was completely reliant on god and the world to provide for me and didn't have any comfort zone.

Thank you for your honesty, brother. I love you.

Andrew