Monday, January 21, 2008

Now I know...


During my years at Princeton, I could never figure out why everyone from Seattle wore fleeces (and drove Subarus). I now completely understand the benefits of wearing a fleece.

Today was supposedly one of the coldest days ever in the Seattle area (low near 25 degrees). I have learned quickly that big snow jackets are a rarity, if not an embarrassment out here. I probably would have worn on my big East Coast jackets today if it didn't make me look like the type of person that I am - an East Coast person.

I received a fleece as a Christmas gift and I have been wearing it every day. Today, I wore it up to the mountains and I didn't feel cold at all. In fact, I could barely tell that it was below 20 degrees.

This may seem like a boring observation to a majority of the fleece-wearing world but I am in total awe of the fleece.

There is nothing deep to this posting except perhaps the basic truth that I should never judge anyone too quickly because I always find out that my initial judgment is wrong and that I end up often discovering the truth behind another person's perspective. In this case, I judged my Seattle friends for wearing a fleece every day...

If I had a fleece back in the Princeton Seminary days, then I would be wearing one too...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's also one of the few fabrics you can wear right next to your skin and it will actually insulate you from wet & cold, like wool and unlike cotton, which when wet, stays wet and makes you colder. Fleece wicks away the moisture. It's particularly great for whitewater rafting - which you've gotta do, now that you're up in the mountains!

In fact, long range goal for MVPC: Outdoor Men's Ministry - requiring Jeff to become trained as a raft guide. I promise, you'd LOVE it!

David Hallgren said...

Now you have to go to REI and buy a Nalgene bottle and grow a goatee and you will officially be a Washingtonian (state).
It is good to have you out here in the far west. Let's have lunch sometime in the near future.