Tuesday, January 18, 2005

boredom and hunger

i went on a retreat to a monastary in upstate new york this past week. i set a goal of reviewing my past semester and preparing for the next. one of the monks asked us at the introductory gathering to let go of living in the past or the future but, instead, to focus on the present. i realized right away that i needed to do just that.

the outcome of this refocusing was i rediscovered being quiet before the Lord and journaling. the next couple blog entries are excerpts from the times of silence that i spent in prayer and reading through 2 Corinthians.

my first prayer time was awkward. i sat at a desk in my room and i asked God to direct my thoughts. i closed my eyes and then i had an initial thought of "I am HUNGRY". the time was 3 pm and i had eaten a quick lunch before i left but i should not have been that hungry.

i realized that i often get hungry when i am not 'entertained'. i was only at the retreat center for 50 minutes and i was hungry.

is a hunger for food related to an overall level of satisfaction?
does the entertainment of this world fill our desires to the point that we have no room left to hunger for spiritual things, namely, God?
how can i expose myself to times of boredom so that i can hunger?

No comments: