Wednesday, September 08, 2010

A Child's (Fresh) Perspective


Last week, my oldest daughter (7 yrs old) Cambria asked me if I would read her a Bible story at night before going to bed.  I quickly jumped at the opportunity and asked her what she would like for me to read.  She responded immediately with "John."

I don't know why she picked the John's Gospel but I agreed to read it.  She said, "Start from the beginning."

I initially hesitated because I thought, "How will Cambria comprehend some of the complex ideas that John shares and some of the mysterious sayings of Jesus in the Gospel of John?"

The next thought was a better one.  I thought, "Cambria will help me see this book in a new light."

I have been reading approximately one chapter per night to Cambria before going to bed.  I have tried to limit my commentary because my goal has been to let God (through the narrative and content) speak for himself.  I have let her ask questions along the way such as "Who are the Pharisees?" but I have intentionally kept my mouth shut when I feel the need to explain a word or concept.

The experience has been a delightful one for both of us.  Cambria is making observations and asking questions that I would easily overlook. 

Here are some examples:

  • What did Jesus call his mommy?  Did he call her "Mommy" or "Mom"?   (in response to Jesus saying in John 2:4, "Dear woman, why do you involve me?") 

  • "Huh?  (laughing) That's silly, how can a person be born a second time?" (She said this right after I read Jesus words to Nicodemus in John 3:3, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdome of God unless he is born again."  I then read Nicodemus' response that was pretty much the same as hers, "How can a man be born when he is old... surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!" )

  • "Why would anyone love darkness? It is scary when it is dark.  That doesn't seem smart to love the dark." (in response to Jesus' words in John 3:19, "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.")

  • "Shhhh...  (giggling as she speaks) She doesn't know it is Jesus" (in response to reading John 4 and the Samaritan woman's conversation with Jesus at Jacob's well.)

I have thoroughly enjoyed (and been challenged) by Cambria's questions and first interactions with these accounts from John's Gospel.  I'm looking forward to more questions and observations as we continue...

If you would like a new perspective on anything, then watch children... they will give it to you (whether you want it or not!).


4 comments:

nate said...

It's interesting how simply a child can strip down an idea to- and for the most part the stripped down version truly catches the essence of the truth (they have an amazing capacity to see through lots of bovine scat). I would love to do a word study on the word "narrow" when Jesus talks about the narrow path. Just a hunch but I'm betting that the narrow path also implies the SIMPLE path. God is a simple voice in a storm of chaos and sometimes I think that is part of entering the Kingdom like a child...is to enter the Kingdom simply, stripped of all the junk.
Nate

Chris said...

Did he really just say bovine scat? Ha! Nate you're a beast!

jlee said...

Yes, bovine scat made it into Nate's description of a child's view of the world... Nate is a beast and in fact he is a freak who leads the freakshow - and that is a COMPLIMENT!

David Hallgren said...

Love this!! I think there is a sacramental quality (a means of grace) to the privilege of seeing scripture, faith and divine relationship through the perspective of children. When the child was on Jesus' lap, he said receive the kingdom in this way. Not as a concept, but as concrete reality. Thanks for sharing Jeff
Miss you on the west coast!