Monday, September 29, 2008

Deep down inside


Yesterday, I felt the sickening feeling that accompanies a beloved sports teams elimination from the playoffs. I have felt this before (last year on the last day of the season) and I will feel it again (next year on the last or first day of the season?).

I tried to determine why this sick feeling comes over my body due to events like the Mets' choking. As I pondered, my mind wandered to the fact that I am repulsed by the feeling of not coming through for others when they need me. I hate when I fail to fulfill a commitment to a friend or simply let someone down.

There is a larger pattern present here as well. I have noticed that I tend to judge others in the exact areas that I struggle the most. This is a basic observation that I see in every other person as well. We judge others most harshly in the exact places we need help.

Back to the Mets... I saw them choke yesterday (this past week, this past month...) and I couldn't stomach, literally, the fact that they let me down by not coming through. I hate that in them but I hate that more in my actions.

SO, I will be thinking about how my stomach felt yesterday when I am tempted to not come through for others when they need me. I won't be perfect but I will intentionally work to avoid making others feel like the 56,000 fans who sat through the choke-fest yesterday at Shea Stadium in NY City.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeff, at least your team had a shot at choking their way out of the playoffs this year. Mine didn't have a whiff of them for the past couple of months.

I'll have to see if I can work your posting into another sermon. Good stuff, as always, Mr. Lee.

Unknown said...

At least you never technically paid to support the 2nd highest payroll in the league - which ended the season 16 games out AND had the ability to choke 1 day after the regular season ended, breathing new life into the ChiSox and their playoff chances.

I feel for you, I really do.