Sunday, June 08, 2008

Matching Feelings

I am sitting in the hospital room where Carys was born last night at 10:08 PM. I am looking at her as I type and she is wrapped up in blankets and peacefully sleeping.

At 10:08 PM last night, I felt a feeling that I felt a month ago. I couldn't put my finger on exactly why I felt the same way but then I started to connect the dots.

Last month, I attended a pastor's conference at North Point Community Church. The Friday night session included a communion worship service with an intense set of music accompanied by an artist on stage painting Jesus. I remember receiving the bread and cup and then beginning to cry as I was overwhelmed by the reality of God's grace in my life. Grace. A surprise gift. God's unmerited favor. Grace.

I wept because I felt overwhelmed with gratitude for God's action in my life and for the world in Jesus' death on the cross and resurrection from the dead. I was knocked over by God's grace.

Last night, I felt the same exact feeling and it led to the same action, namely, crying by the bed where Carys was resting on Laurie. I heard her little cries and I saw her little brown eyes looking at me and I was overwhelmed again with gratitude for God's gifts in my life. I do not deserve such a gift but God has seen it fit to bless me with another little girl. That is God's grace.

I cried in two different places for what seemed like two different reasons. In fact, I cried for the same reason - a joyful response of gratitude for God's grace in my life.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderfully put, Jeff. You should be a pastor or something...;)

Congratulations!

Troy

David Hallgren said...

beautiful! Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jeff. Congratulations.
David

Erik said...

Can't wait to see pictures. Thanks for sharing Jeff. Much love for you and now slightly bigger family.