Sunday, February 03, 2008

Hosanna


This blog is turning into a health report instead of a place for theological and cultural reflections. I put out a "SOS" in my last post and things have turned for the worse since then. Avery added another (4th) vomit to the mix later that evening and yesterday I was struck down with the flu. Thank God (literally) that the girls were in a deep sleep when the flu hit me. I felt like a truck knocked me over (even though I think that I would rather have that happen).

There is some good news though. Today, I called some friends who have servant hearts and asked them to take the girls for the afternoon. The girls went to their friends house and they were able to have fun without hanging around their wasted Daddy. They also were able to go to a birthday party that they otherwise would not have been able to attend with my fever and flu.

I slept for the entire 6 hours when they were gone. I feel a little better but I also feel the sickness creeping back. This battle is almost over but I am fighting away.

In light of all this, I have received new insights into the Hebrew expression "Hosanna" which means "please save" or "save now". I am not going to venture into the different interpretations of the term in the Gospels right now. It is amazing how being dead sick and feeling desperate takes away the complexities of life and boils it down to one word, "HELP!".

Today, the Lord provided help to me from some friends and some much-needed rest. My prayers of "deliver me from this!" and "please save" or "Hosanna" were heard. Praise God.

Take a listen to this song that has encouraged me for weeks now - http://vidsearch.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=8476067

2 comments:

Five Bees in the Triangle said...

We are so sorry to hear that you were sick. No fun at all, especially when your spouse is out of town. We are wishing you a speedy recovery and a safe return for Laurie.

Unknown said...

Good post. I had a thought along these lines just yesterday as I sat in a hospital parking lot - just wasting time for an event I was way early for. Anyway, I watched a number of people walking into the hospital and I thought, "when you're headed to the hospital, you're usually so sick that nothing else matters." Superbowls, elections, fashion sense... it all doesn't matter, all that matters is "get me better."

Yeah, life comes "into focus" when our health is at stake.