Friday, September 07, 2007

A Humble Reminder


I was able to relax this morning (my one true day off) and I take some time to reflect on my first month in full-time church ministry. The transition from NJ to WA was so intense that I barely took time to prepare for all of the changes. I had heard of the numerous pulls that would be put on my time and how I would be overwhelmed by the challenge of coming up to speed with everything.

Years ago, I remember feeling unworthy when I was asked to serve as president of the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship chapter at UVA. I remember thinking "they have the wrong person in mind" when they asked me to consider applying for the position. Later on, I decided to apply after spending significant time in prayer and reading through the stories of Moses, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and many others who questioned their ability to lead God's people. I was encouraged by how they all followed the call with God's provision, guidance, and grace.

I realized yesterday after 4 weeks in the locla church and from reading St. John Chrysostom's "Six Books On The Priesthood" that I need to return to that humble place. Chrysostom, in this writing, details why he does not feel worthy to serve in the priesthood, especially in light of the real struggles that face those in leadership. In light of this writing, who am I to think that I can lead and shepherd God's people on my own strength and own understanding?

Chrysostom provided this humble reminder on how I need guidance in leadership. He provided this description of the qualities of a person who leads in the church:

Consider, then, what qualities a person needs if he is to withstand such a tempest and deal successfully with these obstacles to the common good.
He must be dignified yet modest,
impressive yet kindly,
masterful yet approachable,
impartial yet courteous,
humble but not servile,
vehement yet gentle,
in order that he may be able to calmly to resist all these dangers and to promote a suitable man with full authority, even though everyone opposes him, and reject an unsuitable man with equal authority, even though everyone favors him. One thing along he must consider: the edification of the Church. He must do nothing out of hostility or favour.


He reminded me that I need to avoid the extremes of (1) pleasing people at all costs (2) alienating people.

He reminded that favor does not automatically equal true authority (authority that follows the pattern of Christ).

He reminded me that the goal is the edification of the church and not me or anything else related to reputation.

I need these humble reminders. That is why I keep reading leaders who have struggled through leadership in the church throughout the history of the church (not just the past 2 years).

Is anyone else challenged by his reflection?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Challenged - and reminded of the immense value of the books I was "forced" to purchase at seminary - which gain dust on my shelves at home.