Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Disconnected analysis


I am learning a basic lesson right now. The lesson is that church ministry decisions should be based on actual conversations with real individuals as opposed to theories from books or other ministry models. Yes, this should be a basic observation.

The pull toward stepping away to "figure things out" is a strong pull for me. In many ways, I have attempted to apply a logic-driven approach to analyzing a small group ministry. The outcome has often been disconnected from the reality that I have (re)discovered from talking with real individuals who are participating in the small group ministry.

The phrase "incarnational ministry" has been tossed around in more ways than I can count. I will, however, venture to say that I have experienced a facet of that elusive term in recent days as I have "dwelled among" friends who want to connect with God and other people through small groups.

Simple.

My Dad has always said, "People before process" but I apparently missed the memo...

It is time to listen.

It is time to act...

How have you seen systems receive the primary focus as opposed to people in your area of responsibility (work, family, etc)?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think there's a beautiful tension here. Yes, listening to actual people is crucial. The feedback and insight they give us is invaluable. But, without ever examining some of their comments in light of what we know "theoretically" runs the risk of decision-making based solely on the whims of people. I like to think of it more like a dance between the two. As we engage relationally with the people whom we are called to serve, we are also feeding our souls and minds, and so we bring those insights and experiences to the conversation. Out of this nexus emerges what one hopes is a beautiful, practical and theological approach to ministry, and when the music begins to change tempo, sound, and style these two things together continue to dance, maybe clumsily at first, but dance nonetheless.

What do you think?

jlee said...

The tension is a beautiful one without a doubt. As with all tensions, each person needs to determine their natural tendency within the continuum. For me, I have recently been focusing on the theoretical. I appreciate your word of caution regarding making decisions based on the whims of people. There are a zillion opinions on how to "run" a small group ministry and I could spin my wheels if I listened to every opinion and adopted it blindly.

Going forward, my goal is to listen to each person and let that inform my assumptions (theory). Yes, the dance will continue and part of that dance is deciding to boldly lead with the high possibility of messing up.

As the great philosopher David Bowie once sang, "Let's Dance!"