Monday, March 31, 2008

Open sharing


Last weekend (Easter) at MVPC, we asked for questions from anyone who attended and they submitted questions before they left. The questions could be able anything regarding faith and life.

This morning, the topic for the sermon was "Being Real and Embracing Doubt." We featured a panel of the head pastor and two other pastors on staff instead of a regular sermon. Our outreach director asked the questions and the format was wide open. He asked some of the questions that were submitted but he also added additional questions based on text messages during the discussion and questions he felt led to ask.

I thought that I was going to be uneasy about the format but I truly enjoyed responding to the questions and discussing the points with the others on the panel. In many ways, I felt free to be a witness to Christ through the format. I didn't give the "right" answers and I know that I would respond differently to some of the questions if I could go back in time and do it again. However, the beauty of the panel format was I was able to speak freely and be open without trying to be perfect or overly calculated in my responses.

The primary topics were dinosaurs, evolution/creation, the Bible as literal? and homosexuality...

MVPC tried something new this morning and I was honored to be part of the experience.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very cool - I can see you now, sitting on a pub stool, stroking your chin as you ponder a question, sniffling as David gives his answer, and then launching into "You know David, I'm glad you said that - when I think of _______, I think..."

Priceless baby!