Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Empty


I remembered tonight why I need to run (and run often!). My last jog was probably 2 weeks ago. The past 1 1/2 weeks included preparing/preaching a sermon, teaching the final two classes on studying scripture, fighting a persistent cough/head cold and a zillion other responsibilities (felt that way).

The first thing to go in times of stress is exercise. I remembered tonight that I should carve out space for exercise as soon as those stressful times comes. I ran for a short 2-3 mile run and now I feel like a new person.

I do not think about anything when I run. I simply run. My brain is empty. I believe that my brain rests during times of exercise. My mind is always on the "go" and I need those times.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a good reminder - especially around the holidays. I need to get in the habit of some regular exercise before I end up as the "fat" pastor!

David Hallgren said...

Hi Jeff,
I have been thinking the same thing lately. I loved running along the canal in princeton. I miss that and have not carved out the time to run here in Seattle. I did notice that there is a 5k fun run in February up here that I think I am going to sign up for. Want to join me and make a family day of it? It's at Green Lake.
Let me know,
DH

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you got out there for a run!

Keep up the good ministry, my friend. Peace and grace to you and yours,

Andrew P
Church in the Hills
Bellaire, MI